Real estate deeds that transfer property in Missouri can be recorded to provide constructive notice of the transfer. In most cases deed documents are recorded in the County or Independent City where the property is located.
The statutory requirements for real estate deeds that are to be recorded in Missouri are as follows:
• Documents must be submitted on 8.5x11 inch white paper of 20 pound weight without any visible watermarks.
• Printing must be single-sided only. Document s should not be presented as a continuous form or permanently bound.
• Attachments may not be stapled, taped, or otherwise affixed to a page.
• Printing or typing must be in at least 8 point font. Nonessential information within the margins is exempt from the font requirement. However, the 3 inch blank margin at the top of the first page should be left blank for the recorder’s use.
• The top of the first page should contain a 3 inch margin. The remaining margins on the first page and on subsequent pages should be at least ¾ of an inch.
• Below the 3 inch margin on the first page, the following information should appear: Title of the document, date of the document, grantor’s names, grantee’s names, statutory address(es), legal description, reference book and page numbers. If all of this information cannot fit on the first page, the first page should contain a page number within the document where the information appears.
• Signatures should be in dark black or blue and should have the corresponding names printed, stamped, or typed beneath them.
• Release deeds must present the original identified note to release deeds of trust.
• The grantee’s, mortgagee’s, or assignee’s address must be supplied on the document of conveyance.
• The grantors and grantees must be designated in order to be indexed. There is no limit as to combinations or exclusions, but must contain the word ‘grantor’ or ‘grantee.’ It is the filer’s or preparer’s responsibility to make these designations.
• Statutory addresses must also be designated (i.e. ‘Grantee’s mailing address….’).
• The address of the property will not be accepted as a legal description.
• Book and page references required on certain documents (release deeds, assignments) must be designated.
• If a document is presented for re-recording, in addition to all other requirements, there must be a new first page or cover sheet with the top 3 inch margin and the required first page designations.