Deeds.com
Home > Forum > Florida > Volusia > Topic Detail  
Posted By: JES on 7/27/2013
ADD NAME TO DEED
I WAS TO BE ON THE LOAN HOWEVER I WAS TOLD I DIDNT QUALIFY, SO IT WAS PUT IN ONE NAME. THE HOME WAS FOR ME TO LIVE AND I WAS TO PAY ALL BILLS, WHICH I DO. SO, MY NAME WAS ADDED TO DEED, AND TOLD THAT IT WOULD BE NO PROBLEM IF THE OTHER PERSON DIED. SHE WOULD HAVE LAWYER MAKE HER WILL IN INSURE MY OWNERSHIP AND NO RELATIVE WOULD CONTEST. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THERE WOULD BE INSURANCE TO OFF MORTAGE. MY PROBLEM IS SHE HAS CHANGED WILL AND NOW TRYING TO GET ME TO CHANGE DEED AND OWNERSHIP. SHE SAID WHEN SHE DIE EVERYTHING GOES TO SPCA. I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST HER. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO PROTECT WHAT I HAVE. I PAY THE MORTAGE TO HER BANK IN HER NAME AND THE HOA. I DONT TRUST HER. SHE HAS TRIED TO GET ME TO SIGN DOCUMENTS THE WHERE ALREADY NOTERIZED. I REFUSED. HOW DO I GET DOCUMENTS FOR MORTAGE AND BE SURE SHE HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING TO CHANGE WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE.

Replies:

1. Posted By: Annette On: 7/29/2013
Well, if the deed adding you was completed properly there would be nothing she could legally do to remove your interest. As for the mortgage, that's still going to be there until it is paid off or your refinance. I think I would be looking into refinancing as soon as possible and then seeing what you could do to remove any interest she has in the property in favor of you.

2. Posted By: Carol Klein On: 7/30/2013
I know it's no fun but you might consider contacting an attorney to protect your interests in the property. If you have been paying all the bills you stand to lose out if all parties are not dealing straight.

3. Posted By: Patricia On: 1/5/2017
I am buying a house with my fiancé in Volusia County. He has the mortgage in his name. I will pay the bills. The good faith estimate or lender worksheet from a local mortgage company shows that I would be paying $224 in recording fees, 338.50 for city tax stamps same for mortgage tax stamp, $847 for the deed, state tax stamps of 193.60. This puts the closing costs $1,000 more than my home bank. Is this required of all buyers in Florida? Also we are getting married in a year, but at purchase, we will both be on the deed. Is there an additional cost to do this?

4. Posted By: KERRY DALE PRESNELL On: 10/5/2017
IF I WANTED TO TAKE MY NAME OFF OF MY HOME FULLY PAID FOR AND ADD MY SONS AND DAUGHTERS THEY ARE IN GEORGIA CAN I SIMPLY GO THERE AND TAKE MY NAME OFF AND ADD THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT HERE THE HOUSE IS FULLY PAID FOR AND IN MY NAME THANK YOU