Deeds.com
Home > Forum > Pennsylvania > Allegheny > Topic Detail  
Posted By: MILLER on 7/29/2013
REAL ESTATE BACK TAX
HELLO, I HAVE A PARTIALLY RENOVATED VACANT HOME (50% APPROX.) OF WHICH HAS ACCUMULATED SEVERAL YEARS OF UNPAID BACK TAX...THE PROPERTY IS FREE AND CLEAR OF ANY MORTGAGE...I HAVE DONE SEVERAL YEARS OF UPDATES TO EXTERIOR, ROOF AND WIRING TO NAME A FEW...RECENT EVENTS HAVE FORCED ME TO NEGLECT IT FINANCIALLY AND I NEED TO GET RID OF IT BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS TO IT OR I BECOME ENGULFED IN ITS DEBT...I SIMPLY NEED TO GET RID OF IT AND WILL GIVE IT AWAY TO SOMEONE WHO HAS THE TIME AND MEANS TO COMPLETE IT...I DON'T WANT TO PAY THE REAL TAXES OWED...CAN I AS A ALTERNATIVE DO A "QUITCLAIM" DEED TRANSFER TO A WILLING NON FAMILY MEMBER PARTY IF POSSIBLE TO RELIEVE ME OF ANY REMAINING FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN TERMS OF BACK TAXES OWED?? WILL THE OWED BACK TAXES BE TAKEN ON BY THE NEW OWNERS RELIEVING ME OF THE OBLIGATION TO PAY THEM?

Replies:

1. Posted By: Carol Ciarabellini On: 8/1/2013
Generally speaking property taxes are not attached personally, they attach to the property. If the taxes are not paid the property is used to pay them, no matter who owns the property.

2. Posted By: Anonymous On: 12/21/2016
CAN I ASSUME MY OTHER PERSONAL ASSETS (2 OTHER HOMES IN GOOD STANDING) CANNOT BECOME LIABLE OR VULNERABLE TO LITIGATION FROM THIS ISSUE BUT INSTEAD THEY WOULD BE TOTALLY IMPERVIOUS: A SEPARATE ENTITY TO ANY LEINS ACCRUED ON THE INITIAL "BACK TAXED" PROPERTY IN QUESTION?