Deeds.com
Home > Forum > California > Kern > Topic Detail  
Posted By: J on 1/8/2014
Removing deceased, adding new to deed
My father and I are trying to add my name to his house deed. His wife has passed and her name is on the deed. How do we remove her name, and add mine as well as my uncles name? Do I have to file more than one paper, or can we just file a quitclaim?

Replies:

1. Posted By: Cameron Miller On: 1/8/2014
My recommendation is to contact a local title company to help you. I use First American Title with many of my real estate transactions, they can help, or you can contact any of the other title companies in town.

2. Posted By: Tamara Stoebe On: 2/8/2015
Hello J - if you have not already done so, I would recommend the following:

1. Deed #1 - deed executed by your father, if he held title as Joint Tenant with his wife complete the Affidavit Death of Joint Tenant, you will need a Certified copy of the Death Certificate for your father's deceased wife

2. Deed #2 - deed executed by your father - Have your father complete a GRANT DEED from himself as a Widower too:

Himself, a Widower; Your Name & Vesting (a single man/unmarried man/a married man as your sole and seperate property); Your Uncle's name & vesting (a single man/unmarried man/a married man as your sole and seperate property) - you'll then need to know how the 3 of you will hold title, Undivided interest or Joint Tenancy

3. Deed #3 - if you and/or your uncle are currently married your Spouses will need to do a deed from themselves with the vesting Spouse of Grantee too Your Father, a Widower; Your Name & Vesting (a single man/unmarried man/a married man as your sole and seperate property); Your Uncle's name & vesting (a single man/unmarried man/a married man as your sole and seperate property) - with the same vesting as in #2

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me (661) 466-6849

Add Reply:
Your Name (displayed)
Comment:
CAPTCHA Enter the number from the image to the left.