Home > Information > Adding, Removing, Or Changing A Name On A Real Estate Deed  

Adding, Removing, Or Changing A Name On A Real Estate Deed

Adding, removing, or changing a name on the title of real estate can only be done by recording a new deed showing the change. Many people think they can simply go into the Recorder's office or Registry and change the present real estate deed on record. However, once a real estate deed is recorded, it cannot be changed.

The most common deed used to correct or change previous deeds is a quit claim deed.

To add someone to the title, the current owner of the property can quit claim their interest to the person being added, AND themselves.

To remove someone from the title or deed, the person being removed can quit claim their interest to the remaining owner(s).

To change a person's name on the title, as in the case of a marriage, the person would quit claim the property with his or her old name as the grantor and the new name as the grantee.

These are all good ways to keep a good chain of title and to avoid any possible clouds on title in the future.
Related Topics: | General |
January 3, 2012, - Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed, you should always confirm this information with the proper agency prior to acting. The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. These materials are intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date.
Downloadable fill in the blank forms