You are NOT on the Covington County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Probate Office is responsible for recording and maintaining real property records in Covington County.
$8.50 first page
$3.00 each additional page
$1.00 each additional name beyond two (2).
Deed tax: $1.00 per $1000.00 of value
$0.50 per $500.00 of value
Mortgage tax: $1.50 per $1000.00 of indebtedness
$0.15 per $100.00, rounded up to next hundred.
Mineral deed tax: Leases - $0.05 per net mineral acre
Deeds - $0.15 per net mineral acre
County recording fees are subject to change without notice. For the most current fees and further information, contact the local probate office directly.
* Certified copies of originals or originals themselves are accepted.
* All conveyances admitted to record must be in writing, attested by two witnesses, and signed by the contracting party or his agent. If person is unable to sign his name, his name must be written for him with the words 'his mark' written next to it.
* Deeds must contain a recitation of the marital status of the grantor.
* Real property documents must include a legal description of the land. Any instrument attempting to transfer any interest in land will not be recorded if the instrument describes the land by reference to a plat but does not have the plat attached to the instrument or if the instrument does not describe the plat book or office in which it is located.
* All instruments need a 'prepared by statement.' This can be written in the following format: 'This instrument prepared by NAME and ADDRESS.'
The Real Estate Sales Validation Form must be filed in accordance with Code of Alabama 1975, Section 40-22-1.
Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of recorded document.