You are NOT on the Geary County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Register of Deeds is responsible for recording and maintaining real property records in Geary County.
Deeds, mortgages, or other instruments of writing:
first page (not to exceed legal size page 8.5" x 14") - $18.00
second page and each additional page or fraction thereof - $14.00
Release or assignment of real estate mortgage:
first page - $17.00
second page and each additional page - $4.00
Certificate, certifying any instrument of record: $10.00
Acknowledgment of signature: $9.50
Town plats, per page: $29.00
To assure that fees are current, contact the local office directly.
* Documents should be of sufficient quality so as to produce a clear and legible reproduction. If a document is judged as insufficiently legible, it shall be accompanied by an exact, but legible, copy which will be recorded
contemporaneously with the document and will be counted as additional pages.
* In order to be recorded, documents must contain original signatures and proper notarization/acknowledgments.
* Use letter size (8.5 x 11 inches) white paper and black ink with a font size of at least 12 point. The maximum size paper accepted is 8.5 x 14 inches.
* All schedules and exhibits accompanying the deed should be clearly identified and labeled.
* Corresponding names should be typed or printed beneath signatures.
* If sufficient space is not provided for the necessary recording information and certification on a document, such information will be placed on an additional sheet, which will be counted as a page. The maximum size for this stamp is 2.5x7.5 inches. If there is not enough room, the stamp will be placed on the backside of a page, for which additional page fees will apply. A top margin of 3 inches that extends the width of the paper should be large enough to accommodate the recording stamp.
* Immediately below the prescribed space on the first page, provide a document title.
* The grantor and the grantee connected with the real property must be identified in the deed.
* On the first page, provide the name and address of the individual who prepared the document.
* If the Register of Deeds finds that an instrument contains apparent errors, he/she will not record the instrument until the grantee has been notified, if such notification is possible.
* The grantor, grantee, or any other person conveying or receiving real property or other interest in real property shall give the grantee's last known mailing address to the Register of Deeds upon recording. The Register of Deeds will forward this address to the county clerk, who will make necessary changes in the address records for mailing tax statements.
* Provide a legal description of the real property. This can be in the document or included as an exhibit. City descriptions include a lot, block, and addition or subdivision name. Boundaries indicated by a metes and bounds description should include section, township, and range. If a previously recorded instrument is referenced, the reference book and page should be included.
KANSAS SALES VALIDATION QUESTIONNAIRE
A completed Kansas Real Estate Sales Validation Questionnaire should be submitted with each deed presented for recording. The grantor or grantee (or either's agent) should complete this form.
The Geary County Register of Deeds is not authorized to accept the 1-part Sales Validation Questionnaire. When submitting documents for recording, please submit the 3-part validation questionnaire if applicable.
A list of documents that are exempt from this form can be found on the Kansas Register of Deeds website. If the validation questionnaire is not required due to an exemption, the exemption should be clearly stated on the document being filed.