Real Estate Deeds Account
Sign In

Prince Georges County, Maryland

Recorder Offices

Clerk of the Circuit Court: Land Records Division

Courthouse Annex - 14701 Governor Oden Bowie Dr, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772

8:30am to 4:30pm

Phone: 301-952-3352

Mailing Address

14735 Main Street, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772


Phone: 301-780-2253

Maryland - Prince Georges County Recorder Information

The Circuit Court Clerk's Office is responsible for recording and maintaining real property record in Prince Georges County.

Register of Deeds

You are NOT on the Prince Georges County official website, you are on, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.

Recording Fees

* $20.00 for an instrument involving solely a principal residence, regardless of length (except as provided in next item)

* $10.00 for a release nine (9) pages or less in length (this does not apply to a termination of a financing statement)

* $20.00 for any other instrument nine (9) pages or less in length

* $75 any other instrument ten (10) pages or more in length

Recording Surcharge: $40.00 (collected on all instruments recorded in land records or financing statement records, other than a Power of Attorney, Request of Notice (Foreclosure sale), plats, and homeowners' association disclosures)


State recordation tax - $2.50 for every $500 or fraction thereof of consideration (exemptions in Tax Property Article, 12-108)

State transfer tax - one half of 1% of the consideration (exemptions in Tax Property Article, 13-207), one-fourth of 1% for deeds to a first-time Maryland homebuyer

County transfer tax - 1.40%

The clerk's office accepts cash, check, money orders, or credit cards.

Document Formatting Requirements

Recording a deed in Prince George's county requires a visit to the Office of Finance, Room #1090, located in the County Administration Building at 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive in Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772.
After completing the necessary paperwork at the Office of Finance, you need to go to the Land Records Division, located at the Clerk's Office, Room #L65, also in the County Administration Building.

* You must have the original and completed copy of the deed that is being recorded.

* Documents must be submitted on 8.5 x 11 inch or 8.5 x 14 inch white paper. Black ink should be used, with a font size of at least 8 point.

* On the first page, there should be a 2 inch top margin. Other margins on the first page should be at least 1 inch. Subsequent pages should have a 1 inch margin on all sides.

* Deeds must have a certificate of preparation, which can be signed by one of the parties named in the instrument, or by the preparer of the instrument.

* The grantor's signature must be on all documents of conveyance. This signature should be acknowledged by a notary public.

* The Parcel ID# for the property should be typed or printed on the first page of the deed submitted for recording. The Parcel ID# is the same as your account number and is located in the upper right corner of your tax bill.

* A deed or document that effects a change of ownership must be accompanied by a State of Maryland land intake sheet (available at the State of Maryland website), a copy of the deed to be submitted to the Department of Assessment and Taxation, and an affidavit of residency, and/or a Maryland Form MW 506 NRS for non-residence sale of property.

* Printed names are required beneath all signatures in the document.

* A correct and completed Finance Affidavit should be submitted with all deeds.

* A legal description of the real property should be included in the deed. The legal description should include the state, county, and municipality of property in the first paragraph.

* Deeds should state the relationship between grantor and grantee, as well as any relevant previous recorded information.

* An affidavit of total payment should accompany deeds, and if applicable, a certificate of exemption from withholding.

* Submitters should provide two copies of quitclaim deeds.

* A Homeowner's Certification of Principal Residence should accompany your deed. This form can be found on the Prince George's County website. Real Estate Deeds

Nothing on this website should be considered a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

© DEEDS.COM INC. 1997 - 2022 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | (330) 606-0119 | P.O. Box 5264, Fairlawn, OH 44334