You are NOT on the Branch County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Register of Deeds is responsible for recording and maintaining records for real property located in Branch County.
Regardless of the number of pages, all documents will cost $30.00 to record, this cost is inclusive of the Michigan Remonumentation and Register of Deeds Automation fees.
For a document that assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument $3.00 for each instrument assigned or discharged (in addition to the $30.00 flat fee).
A tax certificate must be obtained from the County Treasurer's Office prior to recording a warranty deed, land contract, assignment of land contract with warranty clause, or a master deed of condominium. The tax certificate fee is $5.
Transfer tax is collected on the total value of the land being transferred, unless it is exempt. If there is an exemption, it must be stated on the instrument.
The county transfer tax is 55 cents per $500 of consideration.
The state transfer tax is $3.75 per $500 of consideration.
All applicable fees are due upon recording. A stamped envelope is required for the return of all documents.
* Submit your document on white 20lb paper, size 8.5 x 11 inches. Black ink in a minimum font size of 10 point is required.
* The top of the first page should have a 2.5 inch top margin. This is to be left blank for the recorder. All other margins should be a minimum of 1/2 an inch.
* Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate in Michigan require an acknowledgment by a judge, clerk of a court of record, or a notary public within the state.
* On the first line of print on the first page, the document should display a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences.
* Signatures must be originals, and names must be typed or printed underneath signatures. Discrepancies shall not exist between the names printed in the notary acknowledgments and as printed beneath the signatures.
* Instruments that convey or mortgage property shall state the marital status of any male grantors/mortgagors involved in the transfer.
* A complete mailing address needs to be provided for the grantor and grantee in a deed of conveyance.
* A legal description of the real property should be provided in the document.
* The name and address of the person who drafted the instrument must appear on documents executed in Michigan.
* A certified copy of a death certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded and referenced by liber and page or document number on a document when "survivor" is indicated on the document.
* The total value of the real property must be stated on the face of the document, or a real estate valuation affidavit must be attached.
* Whenever any real estate is transferred, a Property Transfer Affidavit must be filled out within 45 days of the transfer.
A tax certificate must be obtained from the county treasurer prior to recording a warranty deed, any deed that contains a covenant of warranty, a land contract, or an assignment of land contract with a warranty clause.