You are NOT on the Tioga County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The County Clerk is responsible for recording and maintaining real property records in Tioga County.
Deed: $5 per page + $40 recording fee
Cover page (generated by county): $5
Each additional name (over 2): $0.50
Each cross reference: $0.50
TP 584 Transfer Tax Affidavit: $5
RP 5217 Equalization and Assessment
- agricultural or residential: $125.00
- all others: $250.00
Transfer tax rate: $4.00 per thousand (no tax under $500)
Mortgage tax rate: 3/4 of 1%
Mortgage tax exemption affidavit (if required): $5.00
Stamped, self-addressed envelope must be provided to return recorded documents.
* A conveyance of real property must be signed and acknowledged by the person executing the instrument.
* An instrument submitted for recording must be written, in its entirety, in the English language. Submit legible originals for recording.
* On a deed presented for recording, the date of execution must appear on the instrument.
* A name and address for the grantor and the grantee must be provided in the deed.
* A complete legal description is required to be present on a conveyance of real property. All section, lot, block, and unit numbers pertaining to the property must be stated on the first page of the instrument. The city or unincorporated village in which the real property is located must be stated within the instrument. If the real property is not located in a city or unincorporated village, the township should be stated.
* A cover sheet is required for any deed submitted for recording. A sample of this is available on the Tioga County Clerk's website. The cover page is included in the recording costs.
* In the granting clause of the deed, the consideration paid for the property must be listed.
* A county clerk will not record or accept for recording any conveyance of real property unless it is accompanied by a transfer report form as prescribed by the commissioner of taxation.
Transfer Tax Affidavit (TP-584)
A Transfer Tax Affidavit (TP-584) must be filed for each conveyance of real property from a grantor/transferor to grantee/transferee no later than the fifteenth day after the delivery of the instrument affecting the conveyance. This form can be obtained from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.
In Schedule C of the TP-584, the amount of consideration must be filled in (even if it is zero) and the transfer tax should be computed at $5 per $1,000.
The TP-584 must have at least one signature on the back.
If the form is signed by a Power of Attorney, a copy of the POA must be attached.
Real Property Transfer Report (RP-5217)
The RP-5217 Real Property Transfer Report is used to document information associated with all real property transfers within New York State, except for New York City transfers. An original RP-5217 form must accompany all deeds and correction deeds upon filing. A filing fee will apply to this form. The RP-5217 cannot be submitted online. Original forms are available at the county recorder's office or can be ordered online. For online ordering information, visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.
The buyer's and seller's signatures, not an attorney's signature, are required, but if the property is taken by tax foreclosure, involuntary proceeding, or eminent domain, it can be filed with only one signature.
A stamped self-addressed envelope must be provided so that documents can be returned after they are recorded.