You are NOT on the Adams County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Register of Deeds Office is the repository for real estate records for land situated in the county.
The fee to record a deed, land contract, mortgage, or satisfaction is $30, regardless of the number of pages.
The current transfer fee rate is $3 per $1000 of value.
A Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return (completed with proper fee paid or a transfer tax exemption number) is required for deeds, land contracts, and other instruments of conveyance. File the form electronically online with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. For a link and further information, see supplemental forms.
The recording fee must accompany the deed and the transfer return receipt when recording.
- Documents must be submitted on 8.5x11 inch white paper or 8.5x14 inch white paper. Black ink should be used. Documents should not be hinged or permanently bound.
- In the upper right hand corner of the first page, provide a blank space of 3x3 inches. This area is to be left blank for the recorder's stamp.
- In the horizontal area within 3 inches of the top of the document and in the upper left corner, a space that is not less than .5 inches x2 inches should be left blank for the unique document number.
- First page margins (except for the conditions explained above) must be a minimum of 1/4 inches on the sides and bottom. All other pages must have a minimum of a 1/2 inch top margin, and 1/4 inch bottom and side margins.
- The title of the document must be within the top 3 inches of the first page (but not in the recorder's area). This title should be not less than .50 inches from the top, and not more than 3 inches from the top of the page.
* The deed must have the date of conveyance.
* The return address must be immediately below the recorder's stamp area on the first page, within the top 3 inches of the first page.
* Signatures must be notarized, with the notary commission date stated. The grantor and grantee must be identified on the deed. The grantor's signature must be notarized.
* The name of the person who drafted the document must be stated. This requirement can be fulfilled in the following format: 'This document was drafted by NAME.'
* Legal descriptions are required for documents that reference specific parcels of land.
* Complete legal descriptions should include the following:
- The platting information (if property is platted): subdivision name or Certified Survey Map number (CSM#) and lots and/or blocks
- If the property is unplatted, provide 'metes and bounds' tied into the Public Land Survey System (e.g. Commencing 232 feet S 23 12' 34' W of NW cor)
- Public Land Survey Information: Quarter section or Quarter/Quarter section (e.g. NE 1/4 or NE 1/4 NE 1/4), section number (There are 36 sections in a township---e.g. Section 12), Town number (e.g. T 1 N). Note that all towns in Wisconsin are N (North), Range number (e.g. T 2 W, T 20 E), Municipality (e.g. Town, Village or City of Paradise), County
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS REQUIRED
* A transfer form and fee or exemption number is required for all conveyances, except for the following types: A conveyance that corrects or reforms a previously recorded document without adding additional consideration, on a sale for delinquent taxes or assessments, familial transactions with nominal or no consideration, or transactions between husband and wife. For additional exemptions not listed here, go to the Wisconsin Chapter 77 Revised Code.
* The transfer form must be completed electronically. When submitting the document for recording, it must be accompanied by the Transfer Form Receipt.
* Documents claiming an exemption must show the valuation, unless the document is exempt under Chapter 77.25(3) and 11 of the Wisconsin Revised Code.
* The grantor and the grantee or their agent must sign the form.
* Transfers involving rental property must be accompanied by a certificate of compliance to prove that weatherization standards have been met, or with a stipulation that makes an agreement to bring the property up to code. Both of these forms, the certificate of compliance and the stipulation, are $50, payable to the Department of Workforce Development.