The recorder in Box Butte County is responsible for recording and maintaining records related to real property situated in the County.
You are NOT on the Box Butte County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
To record a document, the fee is $10 for the first page and $6 for each additional page.
The documentary stamp tax rate is $2.25 per each $1,000 of value.
* Documents should be submitted on white paper that is at least 8.5 x 11 inches and no larger than 8.5 x 14 inches. The instrument should be printed, typed, or computer generated in black ink with a font size of at least 8 point.
* On the top of the first page, there should be a 3-inch margin. If this space is not provided, the Register of Deeds will add an extra page or use the back of an existing page, for which an additional fee will apply. All other margins should be at least 1 inch.
* Signatures should be in dark black or blue ink. The name of each involved party should be typed, printed, or stamped beneath the signature. An embossed or inked stamp shall not otherwise materially interfere with any part of the instrument.
* Below the 3-inch margin on the first page, a return address and a title to the instrument should be given. After it has been recorded, the book and page or computer system reference where it may be found will be endorsed upon it.
* Each seller of residential real property located in Nebraska shall provide the purchaser with a written disclosure statement of the condition of the real property. The disclosure statement shall be executed by the seller. Details of the statement can be found in the Nebraska Revised Statutes 76-2, 120.
* For deeds transferring title after the death of one or more owners, an official copy of the death certificate and the certification cover sheet are required along with the Real Estate Transfer Statement (Form 521).
* The grantor must sign and acknowledge the document, pursuant to Nebraska Revised Statutes 64-205.
A Real Estate Transfer Statement Form 521 must accompany documents to be recorded. Any grantee or grantee's authorized representative who wishes to record a deed to real property must file the form 521.
A land contract or memorandum of contract requires a completed form 521, which is not subject to the documentary transfer tax until the deed is presented for recording. This form can be obtained from the Nebraska Department of Revenue website, under the heading "Forms."
The documentary stamp tax imposes a tax on the grantor upon the transfer of a beneficial interest in or legal title to real estate. It is due at the time of recording, unless the transfer is specifically exempt. If a document is exempt, a Certificate of Exemption must be filled out.