You are NOT on the Clay County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Probate Office is responsible for recording and maintaining real property records in Clay County.
The fee to record a deed or mortgage is $12.50 for the first page, and $3 for each additional page.
A mortgage release, assignment, or correction is $13.50 for the first page, and $3 for each additional cross reference.
$0.15 per $100.00 or fraction thereof of the fair market value (always rounded up)
$1.00 per $1000.00 or fraction thereof of the fair market value (always rounded up)
No Tax Stamp
If tax is not applicable on a deed or Mortgage then a $0.50 fee shall be applied
Certified Copies: $5.00
In addition to regular recording fees, a special $5 recording fee may apply to documents.
County recording fees are subject to change without notice. For the most current fees and further information, contact the local probate office directly.
* The name and address of the grantee(s) must be included within the body of the instrument.
* The marital status of the grantor must be given for documents of conveyance.
* The name and address of the person who prepared the document must be listed. This can be given as follows: 'This instrument prepared by NAME and ADDRESS.'
* Originals or certified copies are accepted for recording.
* All documents of conveyance should be in writing, attested by two witnesses, and signed by the contracting party or his agent. If he is unable to sign his name, it may be written for him with the words 'his mark' written next to the name.
* Any instrument attempting to transfer any interest in land will not be recorded if the instrument describes the land by reference to a plat but does not have the plat attached to the instrument or if the instrument does not describe the plat book or office in which it is located. There must also be a legal description of the land by metes and bounds.
Deed and Mortgage Recording
Documents to be recorded at the Probate Judge's Office may be brought in person or sent through the mail. Documents brought in person will be processed at that time and returned to the customer. Documents through the mail will be processed and mailed out within 2 to 3 business days.
The Real Estate Sales Validation Form must be filed in accordance with Code of Alabama 1975, Section 40-22-1.
Please mail all documents to:
Clay County Probate Office
Attn: Recording Department
P.O. Box 1120
Ashland, AL 36251