Real Estate Deeds
Register of Deeds

You are NOT on the Calloway County official website, you are on, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.

Kentucky - Calloway County Recorder Information

The County Clerk is responsible for recording and maintaining real property records in Calloway County.

Recording Fees

To record a deed, mortgage, or easement, the fee is $17 for the first three pages.

To record a deed of correction, assignment of mortgage, release of lien, modification agreement, or deed of restriction, the fee is $13 for the first three pages.

For all documents, each additional page beyond three is $3.

Transfer tax will be collected on the consideration stated in the deed. The tax will be imposed upon the grantor at the rate of 50 cents per $500 of value or fraction thereof.
On a deed of correction, transfer tax will only be collected if the amount of consideration has changed. A deed cannot be legally lodged for record until the tax due is paid.

These fees are subject to change without notice. Check with the county clerk's recording division directly to confirm amounts.

Document Formatting Requirements

* Paper should be white, 8.5 x 11 inches, and of sufficient weight. Standard 20# copy paper is suggested.

* The first page should have a top margin of at least 2 inches. All other margins should be at least 1 inch.

* The text should be a minimum of 8 point font and should be in black ink.

* Corresponding names should be written underneath all signatures in the document.


* Include the names and addresses of the first and second party (the grantor and grantee). The grantor must sign the deed and must have his/her signature notarized.

* A consideration statement is required. The grantor and grantee must sign the statement of consideration and must have their signatures notarized.

* The legal description of the real property must be included.

* The source of title should be given. A county clerk will not record a document unless it plainly specifies and refers to the next immediate source from which the grantor derived title to the property or the interest conveyed therein. If the source of title is a deed or other recorded writing, the deed offered for recording should refer to the former deed and give the office, book, and page where it was recorded, and the date thereof. If the property or interest therein was obtained by inheritance or in any other way than by recorded instrument of writing, the deed offered for recording should state clearly and accurately how and from whom the title thereto was obtained by the grantor. If the title was obtained from two or more sources, the deed should plainly specify and refer to each of the sources and shall show which part of the property was obtained from each source.

* Deeds require a preparation statement. This should include the name and address of the person who prepared the instrument, and must also be signed.

* On the face of the document, include a name and return mailing address.

* All deeds require an in-care of address to where the property tax bill may be sent for the year in which the property is transferred.

* In the case of an exchange in properties, the fair cash value of the property being exchanged shall be stated in the body of the deed.

A deed of correction may be filed to clear up a defect in title or to correct a mistake. A deed of correction does not convey interest in land. The original grantor and grantee must be the same in the deed of correction. If a deed includes any other parties, it is not a deed of correction. The corrected deed must meet all the same requirements as the original. In addition, the reason for correction must be apparent and the deed must state that it is a deed of correction and must refer to the original. Transfer tax will only apply if the amount of consideration has changed.


An easement must follow all the requirements for a deed. It must also include the address of each parcel affected. Easements that only convey utility easements do not require a statement of consideration.


A quit claim deed is a deed of conveyance operating by way of release; that is, intending to pass any title, interest or claim which the grantor may have in the premise, but not professing that such title is valid, nor containing any warranty or covenants of title.

A quit claim deed should meet all the requirements of a deed.


This document is used to execute a conversion of a manufactured home (mobile home) permanently to real estate. In order to record this affidavit, the Kentucky title must first be free of lien notations. The document must be signed by the owner(s) and must have notarized signatures. A preparation statement is not required for an affidavit of conversion to real estate.

The deed book and page number of the property where the manufactured home is to be permanently affixed must be referenced on the affidavit. A legal description is not required. The document, along with a copy of the surrendered title, is filed in the Miscellaneous book with the owner(s) indexed as the party one/grantor. Linking of the document to the deed book and page number is helpful.


A statement of consideration is required to be on most deeds. This must be signed by the grantor and grantee. Signatures must be notarized.