You are NOT on the Frederick County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Circuit Court Clerk's Office is responsible for recording and maintaining real property records in Frederick County.
* $20.00 for an instrument involving solely a principal residence, regardless of length (except as provided in next item)
* $10.00 for a release nine (9) pages or less in length (this does not apply to a termination of a financing statement)
* $20.00 for any other instrument nine (9) pages or less in length
* $75 any other instrument ten (10) pages or more in length
Recording Surcharge: $40.00 (collected on all instruments recorded in land records or financing statement records, other than a Power of Attorney, Request of Notice (Foreclosure sale), plats, and homeowners' association disclosures)
TRANSFER & RECORDATION TAX
State recordation tax - $6 for every $500 or fraction thereof of consideration (exemptions in Tax Property Article, 12-108)
State transfer tax - one half of 1% of the consideration, but is .25% if a first time Maryland Homebuyer Affidavit is submitted at the time of recording (exemptions in Tax Property Article, 13-207)
* Submit your document on 8.5 x 11 inch or 8.5 x 14 inch paper.
* Printing or typing must be in at least 8 point type with black ink, and on white paper of sufficient weight.
* The first page should have a top margin of 2 inches and 1 inch on other sides. Other pages should have margins of 1 inch on the top, bottom, and sides.
* A preparer's statement is needed, which can be written as follows: "This is to certify that the within instrument(s) has been prepared by a party to the instrument."
* Documents must contain a legal description of the property.
* For an instrument that transfers title and/or effects a change in ownership on the real property tax records, one must first pay municipal and special taxes, assessments, and charges before the instrument can be recorded.
* Signatures contained in the document must have corresponding names printed above or below them.
* Deeds must include the grantor's signature, which must be notarized.
* The Parcel ID# should be typed or printed on the deed.
* An affidavit of total payment should accompany deeds, and if applicable, a certificate of exemption from withholding.
* For quitclaim deeds, submitters need to provide two copies.
To record a deed or document that effects a change of ownership, it must be accompanied by a completed intake sheet (available at the state of Maryland website), a copy of the deed for submission to the Department of Assessments and Taxation, and an affidavit of residency, and/or a Maryland Form MW 506 NRS for non-residence sale of property.
In Frederick County, if the property to be transferred is a subdivision, which is being dissected from a larger tract of land, then every public tax, assessment, and charge due on the larger tract shall be paid before the property is transferred on the assessment books or land records. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, in Frederick County the certificate of the Treasurer and the appropriate municipal tax collector, if the property is within an incorporated town or city, showing that every tax has been paid shall be endorsed on the deed. The endorsement is sufficient authority for transfer on the assessment books or land records.