You are NOT on the Saint Clair County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Recorder of Deeds is responsible for maintaining real property records in Saint Clair County.
To record a standard document, the fee is $24 for the first page and $3 for each additional page.
Number of Pages........Cost to Record
Non-standard fee, if applicable: $25 in addition to recording fee
Exempt documents that meet the statutory requirements but are exempt from the formatting standards will have the standard first page fee applied and the per-page fee.
For a document that releases or assigns more than one item, there will be a $5 charge per each additional item.
* Documents should be submitted on 8.5 x 11 inch white 20# paper without watermarks or logos.
* Printing should be in black or dark ink and on one side of the paper only. A minimum font size of 8 point is required. Non-essential information within any margin is exempt from this requirement. The Recorder is not liable or responsible for insuring that non-essential information is archived.
* Continuous forms or permanent binding should not be used, but documents may be stapled for presentation for recording. Attachments to a page may not be stapled or taped other than a securely attached bar-coded label or as required by law. "Attachment" does not refer to an Exhibit, but additions to a document page.
* Signatures must be originals and in black or dark ink to ensure reproduction. Corresponding names must be typed, stamped, or printed beneath signatures.
* On the first page, a top margin of at least 3 inches should be left blank for the recorder's certification. All other margins on the first page and on subsequent pages should be a minimum of 3/4 of an inch.
* Immediately below the 3-inch top margin, the following information should be given: title of the document, date of the document, all grantors' names, all grantees' names, any statutory addresses, legal description, and reference book and pages, if required. If there is not sufficient room on the first page for all of the required information, provide the page reference within the document where the information is set out.
* If the entire legal description cannot fit on the first page, provide the page reference within the document where the complete legal description is located.
* The grantors and grantees must be designated in order to be indexed. It is the filer's or preparer's responsibility to make these designations. There is no limit as to combinations or exclusions, but the designations must include the words "grantor" and "grantee."
* Statutory addresses should also be designated, i.e. "grantee's mailing address."
* The address of the property is required for the document, but it is not an acceptable legal description.
* A cover page is not required, but a filer or preparer may choose to present one. If a cover page is used, it will be considered the first page of the document. The cover page must have the required 3 inch margin and the necessary first-page designations.
* If a document is presented for re-recording, there must be a new first page or cover sheet with the top 3-inch margin and the required first page designations. This is in addition to all other requirements.
* The grantor must sign the document and must have his signature acknowledged.
* If a document is written in a language other than English, it may be recorded if accompanied by a sworn English translation.
All rejected documents will be returned with a reason for the rejection.