You are NOT on the Charlevoix County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Clerk Register is responsible for recording and maintaining records for real property located in Charlevoix County.
Regardless of the number of pages, all documents will cost $30.00 to record, this cost is inclusive of the Michigan Remonumentation and Register of Deeds Automation fees.
For a document that assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument $3.00 for each instrument assigned or discharged (in addition to the $30.00 flat fee).
Warranty deeds, land contracts or an assignment thereof, or deeds that contain a Covenant of WARRANTY must have a tax certification from the County Treasurer's Office. The charge for this service is $5.00.
Transfer tax is collected on the total value of the land being transferred, unless it is exempt. If there is an exemption, it must be stated on the instrument.
The county transfer tax is 55 cents per $500 of consideration.
The state transfer tax is $3.75 per $500 of consideration.
Checks can be made payable to the Charlevoix County Register of Deeds and may be combined in one check along with the recording fees.
* Paper must be white 20lb. and no smaller than 8.5 x 11 inches and no larger than 8.5 x 14 inches. Document should be printed in black ink with 10 point font.
* The document must have a blank margin of 2.5 inches on the top of the first page. All other margins should be at least 1/2 an inch.
* The first page of the document shall contain a title.
* The total value of real property must be stated on the face of the document, or a real estate valuation affidavit must be attached.
* A Property Transfer affidavit must also be filed.
* Transfer tax will be collected on the total value of the land being transferred, unless exempt from either or both acts. Any exemptions must be stated on the instrument.
* Signatures contained in the document must be originals. Names must be typed or printed beneath all signatures.
* Names printed in notary acknowledgment and as printed beneath signatures shall be in agreement.
* For instruments that convey or mortgage property, the marital status of all male grantors must be listed.
* Any deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate must list the grantee(s) full name and address.
* A legal description of the property being conveyed must be provided. This should include the municipality (township, city, or village), county, and state, in addition to the legal description.
* Documents of conveyance for real estate in Michigan require an acknowledgment within the state. Dates must appear in acknowledgments
* Documents should include a "Prepared by" statement, giving the name and address of the person who prepared the document.
* When "survivor" is listed on the document, a certified copy of a death certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded and referenced by Liber and Page.
A Tax certificate must be obtained from the County Treasurer's Office prior to recording a deed that contains a covenant of warranty, a warranty deed, land contract, assignment of land contract with warranty clause, or a master deed for condominium.