You are NOT on the Dane County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The Register of Deeds records, maintains, and provides access to all the real estate records in Dane County.
The fee to record a deed, land contract, mortgage, or satisfaction is $30, regardless of the number of pages.
The current transfer fee rate is $3 per $1000 of value.
A Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return (completed with proper fee paid or a transfer tax exemption number) is required for deeds, land contracts, and other instruments of conveyance. File the form electronically online with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.
The recording fee must accompany the deed and the transfer return receipt when recording.
- Use white 20# paper that measures 8.5 x 11 inches or 8.5 x 14 inches. The maximum deviation from either of these measurements may not exceed a quarter of an inch. An instrument with more than one page may not be hinged or otherwise joined completely at the top or sides.
- The document should be printed in black ink to ensure that it can be properly scanned. The Wisconsin statutes allow also for the use of red ink.
- In order to be recorded, the document must be signed by the grantors (or on behalf of the grantors). If presenting a lease or contract to convey it must be signed by all parties. If the conveyance alienates any interest of a married person in a homestead, it must be signed by or on behalf of each spouse or joined in a separate conveyance.
- Original signatures must be notarized or authenticated.
- The title should be given at the top of the first page, not less than half an inch and not more than 3 inches from the top of the page. If more than one instrument name is given, the first one will be used for indexing purposes.
- In the upper right-hand corner of the first page, provide a blank area of at least 3 x 3 inches for the official recording stamp. If this space is not provided, the Register of Deeds may add a page.
- A horizontal area within the top 3 inches in the upper left-hand corner of the first page that is no smaller than an inch by 2 inches should be left blank for placement of the unique document number.
- Aside from the measurements listed above, the top margin of each page should be at least half an inch. Company logos may appear within this margin if they do not interfere with any requirements. The bottom and side margins of each page should be at least one-quarter of an inch.
- Directly underneath the area provided for the official recording stamp or on the left side of the page within the top 3 inches, a name and return address must be provided.
- The parcel identification number should be placed underneath the return name and address. When placing the parcel identification number, the line should be labeled as "parcel identifier number," "parcel identification number," "parcel ID number," "parcel number," or "PIN." If multiple parcels are affected by the instrument, a reference may be made to the page within the document where the parcel identification number is located.
- Provide the name of the person who drafted the instrument. This should be printed, typed, or stamped in a legible manner and can be given in the following form: "This instrument was drafted by (name)."This can be given at the bottom of the first page.
- A conveyance must, in order to be recorded, identify the parties, the land(s), and the interest conveyed.
- If a document refers to specific parcels of land, a legal description should be present on the instrument. If the property is platted, provide the platting information. For property that is unplatted, provide the metes and bounds information.
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS REQUIRED
- A transfer form and fee or exemption number is required for all conveyances, except for the following types: A conveyance that corrects or reforms a previously recorded document without adding additional consideration, on a sale for delinquent taxes or assessments, familial transactions with nominal or no consideration, or transactions between husband and wife. For additional exemptions not listed here, go to the Wisconsin Chapter 77 Revised Code.
- The transfer form is to be completed in detail and electronically only. When submitting your document for recording, if you have already completed the Transfer Form, your document must be accompanied by the Transfer Form Receipt.
- Documents claiming an exemption must show the valuation, unless the document is exempt under Chapter 77.25(3) and 11 of the Wisconsin Revised Code.
- The grantor and the grantee or their agent must sign the form.
- Transfers involving rental property must be accompanied by a certificate of compliance to prove that weatherization standards have been met, or with a stipulation that makes an agreement to bring the property up to code. Both of these forms, the certificate of compliance and the stipulation, are $50, payable to the Department of Workforce Development.
Effect of not recording: Every conveyance that is not recorded shall be void as against any subsequent purchaser, in good faith, and for a valuable consideration, of the same real estate or any portion of the same real estate whose conveyance is recorded first.