The recording of deeds, mortgages, leases, and other real property documents is handled at the Jefferson County Probate Court.
You are NOT on the Jefferson County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
$16.00 for the 1st page plus $3.00 for each additional page
$1.00 for each additional grantee, grantor (you are allowed 2 grantees, 2 grantors)
Satisfaction of mortgage $16.00 (regardless of pages), $1.00 for each additional mortgage satisfied on the same form
$1.00 "No Tax Collected" stamp on deeds, mortgages and leases where no taxes are due
DEED TAX: $0.50 PER $500 or fraction thereof
MORTGAGE TAX: $0.15 PER $100 or fraction thereof
The Recording office will accept cash, cashier's check, money order, business check and local personal check with proper identification.
County recording fees are subject to change without notice. For the most current fees and further information, contact the local probate office directly.
* Conveyances of property must be recorded in the office of the probate judge in the county in which the property is located.
* All conveyances submitted for recording must be in writing, attested by two witnesses, and signed by the contracting party or his agent. If person is unable to sign his name, his name must be written for him with the words 'his mark' written next to it.
* The grantor(s) marital status must be listed on the deed or document of conveyance.
* A typed, stamped, or handwritten statement should show the name and address of the individual who prepared the document. This should be on the first page. An instrument will be in compliance with this requirement if it contains a statement in the following form: 'This instrument was prepared by (Name) ________________ (Address) _________________.'
* Originals or certified copies are accepted for recording.
* Any instrument attempting to transfer any interest in land will not be recorded if the instrument describes the land by reference to a plat but does not have the plat attached to the instrument or if the instrument does not describe the plat book or office in which it is located. There must also be a legal description of the land by metes and bounds.
The Real Estate Sales Validation Form must be filed in accordance with Code of Alabama 1975, Section 40-22-1.