You are NOT on the New Hanover County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
The register of deeds is responsible for recording and maintaining records related to real property in New Hanover County.
Deeds and all other documents: $26.00 for the first 15 pages, $4.00 for each additional page
Deeds of Trust: $64.00 for up to 35 pages, and $4.00 for each additional page
Additional (multi-instrument): $10.00
Non-standard documents: $25.00 in addition to recording fees for documents that
are not in compliance with the recording standards.
Effective 10/01/15, an instrument that contains excessive recording data costs $2.00 for each party listed in the instrument in excess of 20.
In addition, excise tax must be included with the filing fee for a deed. Excise stamps are $1 on each $500 or fraction thereof of the consideration or value of the interest or property conveyed, exclusive of the value of any lien or encumbrance remaining on the property at the time of sale.
Fees for Oath of Notary: $10.00
Certified Documents (excludes vitals): $5.00 first page, $2.00 each additional page
* Instruments should be submitted on 8.5 x 11 inch white paper or 8.5 x 14 inch white paper.
* Include a blank margin of 3 inches at the top of the first page and blank 1/4-inch margins on the remaining sides of the first page and all sides of subsequent pages.
* A font size of at least 9 point is considered legible. Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen with black ink only. Use legible black print or typing for the entire document. Printing should be single-sided only.
* After the 3-inch top margin, provide a document title. The title should simply state the type of instrument being submitted.
* Include the name, phone number, and address of the person to whom the document is to be returned on the first page.
* Also on the first page, include the name and address (on deeds and deeds of trust) of the person or law firm that prepared the form. This is needed even if it was prepared outside of North Carolina.
* All conveyances of land must have the tax ID number and the grantor and grantee's address on the first page. The tax ID number can be obtained from the land records department of the county tax office.
* To facilitate indexing, drafters of documents can clearly indicate the names of the parties and their capacities as grantor or grantee by writing names in all capitals or writing "grantor" or "grantee" in parentheses. All names of the parties should be on the first page of the document and not in the middle or in an attachment. Names should appear consistently throughout, including signatures.
* Provide a legal description of the real property.
* When a document is related to a previously recorded instrument (as with a satisfaction), clearly show the original document's recording information and the names of the parties to that prior instrument and their original capacities as grantors or grantees.
* The total consideration paid for the property should be on the deed, as this is how excise tax is calculated.