Real Estate Deeds Account
Sign In

Colusa County, California

Recorder Offices

Colusa County Clerk & Recorder

546 Jay St, Suite 200, Colusa, California 95932

8:30 - 4:00 Monday to Friday

Phone: 530-458-0500

Register of Deeds

You are NOT on the Colusa County official website, you are on, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.

California - Colusa County Recorder Information

The recorder is responsible for recording and maintaining real property documents in Colusa County.

Recording Fees

The basic recording fee is $8 for the first page and $3 for each additional page.

Any printed material on the backside of a page is considered an additional page. If any page of a document is not 8.5x11 inches, then all pages will be subject to an additional $3.

The fee for documents with two or more titles is $8 per title, plus $3 for each additional page.

Additional indexing for a group of 10 names or more is $1 per group or portion thereof.

Each additional indexing reference to a previously recorded document is $1.

If the print is spaced more than 9 lines per vertical inch or more than 22 characters and spaces per horizontal inch, the fee is $1 for each page containing such print.

A Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR) is required to be submitted with all deeds. There is no charge for this report if it is complete and accompanies the deed to be recorded. If a PCOR is not submitted, an additional $20 will apply to the transaction.

Documentary transfer tax, at the rate of $0.55 per each $500 (or fraction thereof), is collected at the time of recording when the net consideration or value exceeds $100. This rate is exclusive of the value of any lien or encumbrance remaining thereon at the time of transfer.

A Documentary Transfer Declaration must be completed and signed for all deeds. If no transfer tax is due, indicate this by entering "0" on the tax line and signing the declaration. In a separate signed statement, explain why there is no transfer tax due and refer to the proper exemption number (see supplemental document on transfer tax).

Checks should be made payable to the Colusa County Recorder. Please note that recording fees are subject to change without notice. For the most current fees and further information, contact the local recorder directly.

On January 1, 2018, California Senate Bill 2, a.k.a., the "Building Homes and Jobs Act," goes into effect and may increase recording fees for real estate instruments. The fee will address homelessness and housing shortages, and help to increase the rate of home ownership within the State by creating a Building Homes and Jobs Trust Fund to which the additional fee will be remitted.

Upon taking effect, the recorder's office will impose a fee of $75.00 to be paid when recording every real estate instrument, paper, or notice required or permitted by law to be recorded, per each single transaction per single parcel of real property, not to exceed $225.00.

Transfers subject to the documentary transfer tax as defined in Section 11911 of the Revenue and Taxation Code or on any real estate instrument, paper, or notice recorded in connection with a transfer of real property that is a residential dwelling to an owner-occupier are exempt from this fee.

If you have any questions about how the Building Homes and Jobs Act affects your recording fees, please speak with a clerk with the Recorder's Office or a licensed attorney within the state.

Document Formatting Requirements

* The real property to which the document pertains must be located in Colusa County.

* The document must be authorized or required by law to be recorded.

* Original documents should be on white paper, 16 bond or heavier and printed with black ink in a font size of at least 10 point. Printing should be single-sided only. Dot matrix printers, fax copies, dark backgrounds, variations in colored
paper or ink, printed letters that run together and illegible notary seals will likely result in illegible documents.

* Use white paper measuring 8.5 x 11 inches to avoid penalty fees. Paper must not exceed 8.5 x 14 inches. Any document, including any sheet not exactly 8.5 x 11 inches, will cost the regular recording fee plus an additional $3 per page to record.

* Attached exhibits should be on a separate page and properly marked.

* Include a 1/2 inch margin on all sides. The top 2.5 inches on the first page is reserved for recording information. The top left 2.5 x 3.5 inch space on the left hand side should show the name of the person requesting the recording and the name and address to which the document should be returned.

* In the event that the first page does not provide the required space, a cover sheet will be attached to the first page. This page should contain the requesting party's name, return address information, and shall reflect the title (or titles) of the document. There is an additional recording fee of $3 for a cover sheet.

* Directly below the 2.5 inch top margin, a document title should be given. The recorder is only required to index the title (or titles) listed in this space.

* The document should name the person requesting the recording. This should be in the top left corner on the first page.

* State the name and address of the person to whom the document is being returned and fill in the "Recording Requested by and Return to" section on the first page.

* The document must be legible enough to produce a readable photographic record. The notary seal must also be legible for a microfilm reproduction.

* The Assessor's Parcel Number related to the specific property is required on deeds.

* The grantor must sign the deed and must have his signature acknowledged. A California all-purpose acknowledgment is required. Corresponding names must be written or typed beneath signatures.

* Across the bottom of the first page, include the name and return address of the person or entity to where future tax statements should be mailed.

* If an entire instrument or part of an instrument is in a language other than English, it will not be accepted unless it is accompanied by an English translation. The translation must be performed by a certified or registered court interpreter or by an accredited translator registered with the American Translators Association. The translation must be accompanied by a notarized declaration.

* Include a legal description of the real property being conveyed. Real Estate Deeds

Nothing on this website should be considered a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

© DEEDS.COM INC. 1997 - 2022 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | (330) 606-0119 | P.O. Box 5264, Fairlawn, OH 44334