Indiana Recorders Information

Register of Deeds

You are NOT on the Indiana official website, you are on, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.

Real estate deeds that transfer property in Indiana can be recorded to provide constructive notice of the transfer. In most cases deed documents are recorded in the county where the property is located.

Statutory requirements for real estate deeds recorded in the state of Indiana:

- To record a conveyance or mortgage at the County Recorder's Office, the instrument must be properly acknowledged.

- Beneath the signatures of the persons who executed the document, the persons witnessing it, and the notary public, names must be printed, stamped, or typed.

- If the instrument submitted for recording is a copy, the instrument should be marked 'Copy'.

- Documents should be on white paper no larger than 8.5x14 inches. Paper should be twenty pound weight and not continuously bound.

- On the first and last page of a document, the top and bottom margins should be at least 2 inches and 1/2 inch on the sides.

- On each additional page, margins should be at least 1/2 inch on the top, bottom, and sides.

- Documents should be computer generated or typed with at least 10 point font.

- The name of the person preparing the instrument must be given on the document. This can be given in the following form: 'This instrument prepared by NAME.'

- Notarized documents require county residence of notary and commission expiration.

- A transfer of deeds for taxation requires an endorsement by the county auditor before recording takes places.

- The grantee's name and address is required to be on all documents of conveyance.

- A conveyance by quitclaim deed can be written in the following language: 'A.B. quitclaims to C.D. (describe the premises) for the sum of (insert the total consideration).' This should be signed, sealed, and acknowledged by the grantor.

- Documents should not contain full social security numbers or other personal identification numbers.

- A Sales Disclosure form is required to be submitted with the deed.