You are NOT on the Middlesex County official website, you are on Deeds.com, a private website that is not affiliated with any government agency.
Middlesex County is divided into two recording districts: Middlesex North and South.
The Northern District includes the towns of Billerica, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Dunstable, Lowell, Tewksbury, Tyngsborough, Westford, and Wilmington.
The Southern District includes the towns of Acton, Arlington, Ashby, Ashland, Ayer, Bedford, Belmont, Boxborough, Burlington, Cambridge, Concord, Everett, Framingham, Groton, Holliston, Hopkinton, Hudson, Lexington, Lincoln, Littleton, Malden, Marlboro, Maynard, Medford, Melrose, Natick, Newton, North Reading, Pepperell, Reading, Sherborn, Shirley, Somerville, Stoneham, Stow, Sudbury, Townsend, Wakefield, Waltham, Watertown, and Wayland.
Declaration of Homestead - $35
Declaration of Trust - $225
Deed - $125
Mortgage - $175
Mortgage Foreclosure Deed & Affidavit - $125
Mortgage Discharge - $75
Municipal Lien Certificate - $65
UCC Documents - $45
Federal Tax Liens (and related documents) - $5
Plans (per sheet) - $75
All other documents - $75
Certified Copies (per page) - $1
Recorded Land or Registered Land: Most property is Recorded Land and fees are now the same. If the document refers to a "Book and Page" number, it probably is Recorded Land. If it refers to a "Certificate of Title" number, it is probably Registered Land.
Excise Tax: The effective tax rate is $4.56 per $1000 or fraction thereof of taxable value. There is no excise tax due where the consideration stated is less than $100.00.
Provide a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Fees are payable by cash or check. Checks must be in the exact amount and can be made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. A phone number and address must be noted on checks.
- Documents must be on white paper of sufficient weight to reproduce in registry scanners.
- All documents and attachments must be on paper that is no larger than 8.5 inches by 14 inches.
- Printing shall be on one side only; double-sided pages will not be accepted.
- Documents that contain printing, writing or other markings must be sufficiently dark in appearance to be legibly reproduced on standard registry scanners.
- Margins on all sides of all document pages must be of sufficient size to be legibly reproduced on standard registry scanners.
- The first page of all document pages must contain a "recording information area" in the upper right hand corner measuring three inches from the top edge of the document and three inches from the right edge of the document that is free from all writing or printing.
- If the document does not contain a "recording information area" (a blank space on the first page of approximately 1" x 2-5/8 " to affix the bar code label), an official registry Document Cover Sheet must be attached.
- Document must be signed with an original signature and notarized if required. Signers' and notaries' names must be printed under the signature. Notary expiration date is required.
- Property address must be put in the left margin for mortgages, deeds, mortgage discharges, and death certificates unless address appears on the first page.
- Return name and address must be placed on the front of the first page of each document.
- Do not put social security numbers or personal identification numbers on any recorded document.
- Do not highlight any document text.
- If a document refers to an attached exhibit, ensure the exhibit is included and place all exhibits and addenda at the end of the document.
- Reduced Registry of Deeds descriptions as attachments are not acceptable.
- Unit deed plans must be legible. Reproducible copies made from floor plans will be rejected if they are not in compliance.
- Clip all multiple page documents. (Do not staple checks or letters to the document/s.)
- No more than 10 documents shall be accepted for recording at one time.
Note proper tenancy (if applicable) and mailing address for grantees.
The total number of pages of a document must be noted in the upper left corner on the first page.
The return address must be noted on the first page of each document (RETURN CODES ARE NO LONGER APPLICABLE)
Plans will now be recorded separately in the Plan Department. Plans should be recorded before the documents and a separate check is necessary for recording the plan.